Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:52:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux convert...

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, J McKitrick wrote:

> Actually, i was referring to 4.0 Stable when it came out  ;-)
> With all these overhauls, how ugly will the upgrade be?  Someone just
> commented, but maybe you would have more insight.

We'll do what we can to make it as painless as possible - but on the other
hand the thing about major releases (2.0, 3.0, 4.0) is that a lot has
changed between them, so you need to go into it with your eyes open (i.e.
read the release notes!) to make sure you don't get bit by one of them.

I wouldn't worry about it - the difference between 3.x and 4.0 won't be
nearly as big as between 2.x and 3.0 (which diverged for several years
before 3.0-RELEASE came around), and most people survived that epochal
event without major hassles. The best thing to do when that day rolls
around next year is to wait a few weeks, watch what problems others run
into, and then proceed cautiously yourself.

Kris