Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 05:25:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, louie@TransSys.COM, committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I agree with this..
> I think that 4.0 is clsoe but it's just not there yet.
> I think it needs IPV6 to have reached a better milestone, and certainly
> the stuff that warner is doing (and others) needs to be a little
> further down the track.

I agree.  Why rush 4.0-RELEASE out the door if it's "not there yet"?  One
possibility is to make our 4.0-current something like 3.9-RELEASE, and
when everything has been added, release 4.0-RELEASE.  3.9-RELEASE would be
a lot like 4.0-REL, only with some missing parts (such as IPV6 you just
mentioned).  That way, 3.9-REL would bear all the shortcomings of a
release ending in 0, and when 4.0-REL comes out, it would be less buggy
than most *.0 releases.  (It would really be at the level of a *.1 release
then.)

- Donn