Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 22:51:37 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some Observations

> > It's hard to explain to someone who's only exposure to
> > computers in the past has allowed them to directly access the
> > removeable media how to use the mount command, plus some
> > workaround is needed for non-root users (sudo?).  I'm
> > thinking that
>
> sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1

Actually, there's another long-standing bug relating to floppies
(maybe its fixed in the last couple of months however): if you
mount a write-protected floppy rw (as root), and mistakenly try
to write to it, any attempt to unmount it after that crashes the
system.

Speaking on this topic, I've set up one FreeBSD box in a crowd of
linux boxen, and the faster boxes (including the FreeBSD one) run
KDE (personally I sometimes use GNOME/E or XFCE) plus the slower
ones (486's) are mainly used command-line. No one has any problem
with FreeBSD's user-friendliness, with KDE running on top of it.
Many of the command-line programs (more, ftp, ping) have nice
refinements compared to the linux or traditional unix versions.
I don't think from a normal user's point of view, apart from the
removable media thing, there are any deficiencies in
FreeBSD+usual desktop environments, compared to linux. (Yes, the
removal media issue is a problem, though floppy use is
increasingly rare now. Quick fix for floppies is mtools: only
for DOS format, I believe, but one normally uses DOS-formatted
floppies anyway.)

However, I did do the work of setting up the system first. A
newbie would certainly find Redhat, etc, much easier "out of the
box". Even relatively experienced people may feel nervous with
FreeBSD: I recently failed in an attempt to install
FreeBSD/OpenBSD on a new email server. (They installed linux, and
its working fine, so I can't really complain...)

I think the BSD's would certainly benefit from a "desktop"
distribution which installs various GUI's with the standard
frills automatically and easily. If some enterprising person
would set up a company to market BSD "distributions" a la RedHat,
it would be nice.