Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:51:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: DSL natd rules....

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, William Woods wrote:

> > Now, the fakenet between your box and the cisco ... your provider is
> > running ppp/router mode?
>
> OK, well the provider is USWEST and they are ip PPP mode, that is correct

The things telcos do to save rack space. :-/

Hopefully you won't get bit by the double-NAT, as the 675 is already doing
NAT & DHCP for the LAN.  You may want to review your 675 manual on just
what the router NAT supports.  Note you can log into these guys through
the console port and do IOS-style twiddling.

Alternatively, find an ISP in your area that will run bridged to your
modem.  I think uspest.net is the only one that supports PPP mode to the
DSL modem, the rest should be bridged.  These providers will generally
hand you real IPs and you can run your own NAT over that.

But the last time I was working with USPest DSL was in May 1999, and even
though this is a telco, things change. :)

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org