Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:22:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NODESCRYPTLINKS=true doesn't work

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Maybe I'm just too dumb...  It's my understanding that the
> purpose of the ``NODESCRYPTLINKS'' option in make.conf is
> to prevent overwriting the libcrypt symlinks in /usr/lib.
> Well, it doesn't work.
>
> I cvsupped today in the morning (~ 9:00 UTC on Sunday), added
> NODESCRYPTLINKS=true to /etc/make.conf, "make buildworld",
> "make installworld", and couldn't log in anymore because
> the symlinks had been set to libscrypt (and I'm using DES
> passwords).
>
> I guess that's not how it's supposed to work, is it?

No :)

DES crypt links have a "higher priority" than MD5 crypt links - if you do
a make install in secure/lib/libcrypt or lib/libcrypt, each will overwrite
the libcrypt links of the other. The difference is that make world runs
secure/lib/libcrypt last, so the DES links win. So, as the name suggests,
unless you want no DES crypt links (keep the MD5 links, please!), you
don't use it. "WANTDESCRYPTLINKS" is the historical behaviour which hasn't
changed.

Kris

----