Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 17:46:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   format of libraries

I installed a linux program on my machine which includes a library
libxxx.a.  I was wondering if libraries need to be "brandelf"-ed as well
as executables.

But when I did "brandelf libxxx.a" it said that it was not an ELF
format. So I checked other libraries with the suffix .a.  They
also were not ELF.  But all the .so libraries said they were ELF.

What format are the libraries with .a suffix?  Does anything need to be
done with them if they are linux binaries?