Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 17:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Ahsan Khan <ahsank@one.net.pk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & FileDiscriptors.?

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Ahsan Khan wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
>         I have recently installed FreeBSD because I use squid for cache on
> Linux and I am facing lot of DISK IO problems,
>
>     But in Free BSD I am facing the Problem to Increase the Maximum Limit of
> FileDiscriptors.

	This looks like a job for the kernel maxusers option. :) Check out
the section of the handbook regarding recompiling your kernel (if you have
not already). It's a fairly simple process. On a busy web/proxy server a
rough rule of thumb is that you can use roughly the number of maxusers
that you have megabytes of ram. So, if you have 128 megs of ram, set
maxusers accordingly. If the server is so busy that you were having disk
IO problems, I'd get anywhere from 512M to 1G of ram, and set maxusers to
512.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire