Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:57:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i4b hangs during boot with ELSA Microlink

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> It looks like the card has a problem in the early stages of startup
> when the cable is plugged in. It's generating interrupts which don't
> seem to be getting cleared in the interrupt handler.
>
> [...]
>
> Actually, the Linux driver does quite a bit more. It reads the
> interrupt register on the card (in FreeBSD parlance iobase1 + 0x4c)
> and checks whether the card actually interrupted. This is missing
> from i4b.

So.  Update on what I've found.

I saved iobase1 in a sc->sc_iobase1 when the card was attached, and
during interrupt I checked:

   inb(sc->iobase1 + 0x4c) & 0x04

It was allways nonzero.  In fact, inb() allways returned a 0x45 off
the card (with the same interrupt loop.)  So, no luck there.  :(

Not ready for defeat, I persued the clrirq idea, and found a clrirq
function, for elsa ISA cards which solely consisted of the line:

   outb(sc->sc_iobase1 + 0x07, 0x00)

Which hapens to be TRIGGER register, at least on the ISA card (?).  I
put that in the interrupt function, which called outb() if it looped
more than 5 times.  Still the same lock up during boot.  :(

I'm out of ideas.  Does anybody have a tech contact at ELSA?  No email
addresses on their web site.  Maybe I'll ask the i4linux crowd.

-Paul.