Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:51:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
Cc:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: /etc/rc.shutdown calls local scripts now

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Marcin Cieslak wrote:

>One just uses "startsrc -s sendmail" or "stopsrc -s sendmail" to kick
>it up or down. SRC may remember which command-line arguments are to be
>supplied to command - in sendmail's case be it "-bd -q1h".
>
>What's even more funny, they went even deeper to support
>inetd, where inetd services, called "subservers", may be
>interactively started/stopped using "start/stopsrc -t tftp" syntax.
>It even comments out the relevant /etc/inetd.conf line!
>
>Of course "lssrc" command shows the current status of all
>subservers/subsystems showing even PID's.
>
>However, personally I prefer the usual FreeBSD rc.conf way....

One could leave the current init system alone and write a set of perl
scripts to read a configuration file and start and stop daemons
according to what the config file says.  Essentially exhibiting the
behavior of your start/stopsrc commands but using simple perl parsing
and exec'ing.  You could probably even do it in Bourne shell if you were
very clean about it, but I would prefer to parse the conf file in perl
myself.  This would be a much better idea than SYSV-afying our init.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying