Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 21:26:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: curious interaction between kdm and snmpd on startup

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Vivek Khera wrote:

> I run kdm from my /etc/rc.local script to get nice graphical login to
> KDE.
>
> Recently I added ucd-snmp to this system.  Today I did a reboot after
> testing the vmware "vmnet" module which happened to lock up my kernel.
>
> Upon reboot, the keyboard within X under the kdm session was
> non-responsive to most keystrokes.  The CTRL-ALT-Fn sequence beeped at
> me execpt for F2, which didn't do anything.  CAPS LOCK worked, as did
> NUMLOCK.  The regular keys did nothing.  All I could do was
> CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out of it.

This is what happens when the getty on console and xdm start up
simultaneously.  The keyboard goes into limbo-mode.

The solution is to get xdm to wait 5-10 seconds for the getty to launch
before starting itself.  This can be done with some nifty shell
tricks.  Use this (which starts wdm, not xdm, but same idea) as a script
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/:

[ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/wdm ] && echo -n ' wdm' && (sleep
5; /usr/X11R6/bin/wdm) &

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org