Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 22:53:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@columbus.rr.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone using adaptec 29160

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

>In message <39E25DC9.42D0684C@columbus.rr.com> Bill Moran writes:
>: Anyone using an Adaptec 29160 SCSI controller? ( It's pretty new and I
>: know it's not technically supported, but I was wondering if anyone had
>: tried it and got it working? For example, does it emulate another
>: Adaptec adapter? Will another adaptec driver work with it? Timeline
>: forces me to be sure before I purchase.
>: Any feedback is greatly appreciated (works, doesn't work, etc)
>
>I'm using the 19160, the younger brother of the 29160.  It works
>great!

I'm glad Warner is having better luck.  I don't know which variant of
the 29160 you are looking at Bill, but I still don't have my two
controllers working.  I have a motherboard (Supermicro 370DL3) with an
onboard 29160 (Adaptec AIC7892) plus an additional 64-bit PCI 29160
sitting in it.  When installating 4.1-RELEASE these controllers will
hang at random points during installation.  When installing
4.1.1-RELEASE they panic on boot during the probe.  When installing
recent -current snaps on the machine the same thing also happens.  The
only revision of the driver that seems to install and boot fine on this
combination is src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c,v1.47.  I have not had time
to collect additional information on the panic's as I'm just finishing
up a theatre production which has taken much of my time.  Hopefully at
some point I can sit down with a serial console and a debug kernel and
get Justin the specifics he needs to fix it.  Be forewarned.  I hate to
tell you this, and hope if you do buy one you'll have better luck.  I
don't know what else to tell you to buy, since these are in my opinion
the best SCSI controllers on the market right now.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying