Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:24:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

The url provided doesn't exist, and perhaps this doesn't need to be
included in any eventual comments, but some of the problems mentioned are
basically due to active opposition to any support for dedicated mode.

Replacing the 'bogus' boot1 partition table  with valid values (keeping in
mind that including the mbr in an fdisk slice _may_ still be bogus) that
just include your whole disk and have reasonable values for gemoetry as
calculated will remove a lot of the problems people typically discuss

> > 	your FreeBSD partition when told to "suspend to disk"

Of course the documentition, or techsupport or the manufacturer will tell
you that you have to have a magic file on a fat32 filesystem somewhere.
This isn't so much a problem with dedicateds as it is with not knowing the
hardware you are running on.  If a machine supports suspend to disk, you
_will_ have to somehow reserve space for it to suspend into.  Yes, a
traditional 'dedicated' install will not work here, but only because it
shouldn't.  A non-dedicated install with only one partition entry will
fail in the same ways... You could use the boot1 loader in the mbr, and
define two partitions, one for your suspend, and the rest a valid fdisk
table.

All a dedicated install is in my mind is wether you have boot0 or boot1 in
the mbr.  In either case, though the documentation doesn't discuss this,
you should be putting a valid fdisk table on and all of the dedicated
problems I've ever seen (not relating to interoperating with other
oses) go away.

> > o	You can not easily add another OS to an existing system,
> > 	without a full backup and restore

hence it is called DEDICATED mode -- ie I dont want some other os.

> > o	An increasing number of BIOS will divide by 0 when they
> > 	are attempting to implement LBA addressing.  These
> > 	systems simply _can not boot_, given FreeBSD's fake DOS
> > 	partition table in its disklabel

again, 30 seconds in fdisk fixes this

> > o	The FreeBSD fake DOS partition table does not pass a
> > 	number BIOS-based self-consistency checks (it needs to
> > 	be fixed -- feel free to bell the cat), and so systems
> > 	which use these checks in the BIOS to protect against
> > 	boot sector virus infestation _can not boot_.

again, 30 seconds in fdisk fixes this

Several other things were mentioned that relate to dedicateds not playing
well with other operating systems and utilities.  The response to all of
these is  "Yes, but by definition, a 'dedicated' install is not required
to interoperate with other systems since it is the only OS on the
disk. (yes, multiple disks, a boot manager, etc but when I think
dedicated, I dont think dual boot to two disks -- I think -- this is my
FreeBSD web/file/print/etc server, and so why would I want to dual-boot?

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.