Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:19:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Espen Oyslebo <oys@powertech.no>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cd-paranoia

Anyone get cd-paranoia to work under free-bsd? I used to run linux, and cd-paranoia was imho by far the best cd `ripper' because it would extract excellent quality audio even from my sheiz-creative ide cd-rom drive. It's the only program I really miss after I `upgraded' to FreeBSD 4.2 stable a couple of weeks ago.

If not, what is the `best' substitute under FreeBSD. Since programs are often hard to rate on a worst --> best scale, a nice summery of pros/cons of the different tools would be appreciated.

One more thing whilst I've got your attention: Lame vs Blade (mp3 encoder)? And is there a significant quality improvement from 128 --> 192? how about 192 --> 256?

Thanks a lot!

Espen Oyslebo <oys@powertech.no>

Please add me to the cc list of your reply, as I'm not sure if I'm actually on the mailing list yet.