Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 16:32:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew McKay <birminghamweb@freeuk.com>
To:        bsd140870 <bsd140870@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: nfs and cp problem: file system full

You are correct, the client shouldn't run out of space. All things being
equal then /usr should have more than enough space for ports. Which
confused me for a while...until I read your original post again a few
times. I think I might have nailed it this time...here goes...

>  p200(as1)  as  an  nfs  server and duron650(as3) as an nfs client. nfs
>  mounts ok w/ no problems.
>
>         mount as1:/usr/ports /portstmp

Assuming you're executing this command on the client (as3) then that
should mount the server's /usr/ports as /portstmp, correct?

>         cp -R /usr/ports/* /portstmp

Also assuming you execute this on the client (as3) then that looks to me
like you're trying to copy everything from the client's /usr/ports/
directory into /portstmp (which is an nfs mount of the ports collection on
as1). If this is the case then I suspect this isn't what you want to do
and is the reason you are running out of space.

First off you will probably want to kick yourself (I always find it helps
to kick oneself at times like this...and trust me when I say that
everybody on this list has made this kind of mistake many times before)

Once that's done, what I would do, as this will probably have damaged the
ports collection on as1, would be to rm -rf * in /usr/ports on the
client (as3) cvsup the ports on the server (as1) and then execute:

         mount as1:/usr/ports /portstmp
         cp -R /portstmp/* /usr/ports

on the client (as3).

My apologies for not spotting this earlier. Hope this helps.

Andy