Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:05:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Joel CARNAT <joel.carnat@noos.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is OpenBSD safer than other BSDs ?

OpenBSD is pretty much founded on the idea of a secure OS.  Their
development, their installation policies, etc, are all oriented to making
OpenBSD as secure as possible.

FreeBSD doesn't have the same single-minded focus, but that's not to say
FreeBSD neglects security.  On the contrary, there is an ongoing audit
effort, that besides doing independent review, also incorporates security
fixes from OpenBSD and elsewhere.

If I wanted an absolutely secure gateway just for security, I would
probably go with OpenBSD, because that's the focus.  But for general
usage, FreeBSD has more features, and still has enough of an effort on
security concerns that I'm reasonably content with FreeBSD's security for
general applications.

Ken