Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 23:04:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        singh <singh@pdx.edu>
Cc:        Dave Zarzycki <zarzycki@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RFC: SACK/FACK patch port to Current

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, singh wrote:

> I even observed that FreeBSD4.3 adopts to NewReno algorith which is a
> suggestion in RFC-2582 (which talks about NewReno, SACK and FACK), for clients
> who can not have SACK/FACK, new reno will alleviate the problem of duplicate
> acks in Fast Recovery stage and partial ack is a better solution as comapre to
> reno algorithm.

Ok, I looked over the patch more, as well as the RFCs.  Basic SACK support
seems straightforward according to the RFCs, but FACK is a bit more
complex.  From what I can tell, FACK isn't a tcp feature as much as a
retransmission scheme.  This scheme, in turn, has been updated and is now
called "rate halving".

Is the FACK implementation in this patch the old version, or the
rate-halving version?  Also, does FACK spill over into non-SACKed
connections?  I couldn't tell from a quick readthrough.

I've also noticed that while SACK is sysctl disableable, FACK is not.  A
sysctl for FACK should be added as well so that we can enable/disable it
at will (as can be done with newreno.)

Thanks,

Mike "Silby" Silbersack