Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:28:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, <bright@wintelcom.net>, <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:41:24AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > > Ok, so we have reports of confusion on the mailing lists, usenet and
> > > IRC.  Jordan, where can I pick up a set those blinders you have on?
> >
> > Chill, Albert.  I think we've already established that a) It's the
> > newvers.sh "BETAness" that's really freaking people out and b) That
> > you've yet to supply any practical name alternative, you're just
> > whining about it at this point.
>
> I suggested "-PRERELEASE" as a more friendly alternative.

I suppose we could just keep it X.Y-STABLE right up until newvers.sh
is changed and the X.(Y+1)-RELEASE tag is laid down immediately
afterwards...  Obviously developers and others tracking -STABLE will
already know when we're in a "BETA" stage (since they're on the
appropriate mailing lists, or should be), others don't really need to
be "bothered" with that fact.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org