Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 23:01:56 +0000 ()
From:      Brian Tao <taob@aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        HOSOKAWA Tatsumi <hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New daemon pictures (Re: "Commissioning" some artwork..)

On Thu, 30 Mar 1995, HOSOKAWA Tatsumi wrote:

> I'm not satisfied with thid version because the deemon's outline is
> too sharp.  I want to fix it soon.

    Wow, amazing job on the artwork!!!  Could you put up that 18-meg
TIFF please?  There's are a few Tektronix Phaser colour printers in
the art department that are just *dying* to be used.  ;-)  That BSD
daemon is just so darned *cute*.  :)  I find the outline to be a
just a *little* too soft around the edges.  Sharpening up by 50% in
xv 3.1 (I don't know what "50%" is based on, just something that xv
wants for an input value) makes it look a little better, but it places
a faint "halo" around the daemon's outline, making him look like a
cardboard cutout.  :(  This is an artifact of the sharpening process
though.  I'd like to see what it looks like if you rendered it that
way.

    Could you "push" him further back into the CD?  Say, maybe by
about 40 pixels (in the 640x640 version)?  Or maybe put some blue
sparkles around the yellow "shimmer" where his body meets the CD, so
that it's more obvious he is "stepping out".  BTW, the glint off his
pitchfork is great!  Nice job on the reflective floor too.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org