Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 13:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Hsu <support@cdrom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about the IDE CDROM support in FreeBSD (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 09:24:26 +0900
From: shinkai@flab.fujitsu.co.jp
To: support@cdrom.com
Cc: shinkai@flab.fujitsu.co.jp
Subject: Question about the IDE CDROM support in FreeBSD

I am very satisfied with Walnut Creek CDROM(FreeBSD). But, I have some problems.
I would appreciate it if you would help me to resolve my problem.
My PC has an IDE CD-ROM. I added following statements in my config file and
rebuild a kernel.
  controller   wcd0      at isa? port *IO_WD2* bio irq 15 vector wdintr

But build failed with the following messages at final stage.

  ioconf.o Undefined symbol *_wcddriver* referenced data segment.

[Question 1]
  What shall I do to remove this error?

I tried to install lynx to read FAQ to solve above problem. But pkg_add command
failed with following message.

  pkg_add cannot find "/msdos/packages/all/lynx-2.4.2.tgz".
    (I could not use my CD-ROM drive under FreeBSD. So, I copied all
     directory/files from CDROM to MSDOS partition and mount it by
     mount_msdos command.)

I searched lynx* by find command, but, I could not find a member lynx-2.4.2.tgz
in /msdos file system. Only the following members existed.

  /msdos/packages/all/lynx_2.4
  /msdos/packages/networki/lynx_2.4
  /msdos/ports/distfile/lynx_2.4.tar
  /msdos/ports/net/lynx

Moreover, most members under packages/all directory don't have suffix .tgz.
I tried next with lynx_2.4, but pkg_add failed with the following message.

  pkg_add /msdos/packages/all/lynx_2.4   (my input command)
  Tar extract of /msdos/packages/all/lynx_2.4 failed!
  unable to extract table of contents file from */msdos/packages/all/lynx_2.4*.-
  not a  package                          (error message generated)

I also tried /stand/sysinstall. The menu displays lynx-2.4.2, but cannot install
the package. Sysinstall issues the following message.
   unable to fetch package lynx-2.4.2 from selected media. No package add will
   be done.

[Question 3]
  What shall I do to install packages.Could'nt I install package withtout
  CDROM?

Any comment is helpful. Thanks in advance.

shinkai@flab.fujitsu.co.jp
Yoshitake Shinkai