Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 22:13:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kenji Owaki <owaki-kenji@pa.aix.or.jp>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installer cannot find CD-ROMs - 2.1.6

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Kenji Owaki wrote:

> >Do they show up during the boot sequence?  Try hitting 'scroll-lock' and
> >using the up arrow key to see the boot messages.  I seem to remember the
> >FX001's not quite coforming to ATAPI spec so FreeBSD doesn't find them.
>
> For Mitsumi CD-ROM FX001 on my first PC, it is true its interface is
> proprietary and not conforming ATAPI, but HARDWARE.TXT says FreeBSD
> kernel supports it. Are you saying installer kernel is not the case ?

If you're installing anything from 2.1.5 on, the ATAPI support is built
into the kernel.  The FX001 has to be ATAPI/IDE compatible for it to be
found.  If it's relatively new then it is not attached to the mcd0 device,
but to the IDE controller.

> In the boot sequence, it seems that mcd0 was probed and successfully
> found with proper I/O and IRQ configured with UserConfig.  However,
> still installation menu says that no CD-ROM found on the system.

I don't think this is the case.

> >You might also try moving them to the slave position on the primary
> >controller if they aren't there already; otherwise, alone on the secondary
> >controller.
>
> For ATAPI CD-ROM on my second PC, it is placed on secondary controller
> that is SoundBlaster16 IDE port, and set to master mode. However,
> it is not appear in the boot sequence in installer kernel.

You need to modify 'wdc1' then to match the settings of the SoundBlaster.

> Anyway, after rebuilding its own kernels, both CD-ROMs appear
> and I can use it even with /stand/sysinstall.  It is fine, but
> next time I install, it is bothersome to get kits copied again
> to MS-DOS partition. So I want to build my own installation
> floppy with my newly built kernel.  Is ther any document to
> make my own installation floppy with my own kernel ?

You don't want to.  :( If it works on one machine and they're networked,
then you can put the CD up for FTP or NFS mount then point sysinstall at
it.

What changes do you make to the kernel to get it working?