Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 21:34:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-all@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  ports/www/sawt - Imported sources

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, John Fieber wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, why is this in www?
>
> It's a library for applications dealing *only* with the web.  Well, maybe
> you could get it to work without the web, actually, but that's the
> intention.  It works with, say, kaffe.

Huh?!

Well, I guess those non-web AWT applications I've been fiddling
with must be hallucinations since apparently AWT is *only* for
the web.  :)

Seriously, this is just as silly as putting SP in print because
it could potentially be used in the context of printing, never
mind that SP *itself* has absolutely nothing to do with printing.
Given the constraints of the existing classification system I
would have put it in devel.  It may not be optimal, but AWT is a
windowing API that *can* be used in a web environment, not a
windowing API *for* a web environment.  If this particular AWT
implementation has special web-only restrictions, why is that not
mentioned anywhere in the port comment or description?

Maybe I'm a bit hypersensitive to sloppy classification but the
ports collection is getting big enough that it becomes quite
cumbersome to wander around looking for misfiled ports.

Currently we have an uncomfortable mix of classification based on
"what it is" and "what it is used for".  While the latter seems
like it would be useful on the surface, it quickly degenerates
into a useless mess when you try and scale it up, or artificats
with open-ended uses enter the picture.  It is easy to define
what Java is (a programming language) but impossible to
exhaustively define what it is used for.  WWW? Games? GUI
development? Database?  None of these are wrong, but where do you
draw the line?  The only sane thing to do from a classification
standpoint is to fall back to intrinsic qualities of the
artifiact in question: Java is a programming language.  SAWT is a
windowing API implementation.  The closest thing we have to that
is devel.

Okay, I'll shut up now.  :)

-john