Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:09:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Paul Andrews <andrews@powersurfr.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building New Kernel

I have just installed 4.2-RELEASE and am in the process of creating a new
kernel so that my sound card is supported. I have just cvsup'd the latest
source tree for RELENG_4.

What I need to know is which command set should I use after editing
MYKERNEL:

Set #1
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make installworld
make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL

Set #2
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make installworld
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
/usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
cd../../compile/MYKERNEL
make depend
make
make install

Second question is: Anyone had issues installing a SoundBlaster 16 PCI
Soundcard into there kernel. Is "device pcm"  the only line required
to get the soundcard built into the kernel?

Your advice and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all
those who reply.

Paul Andrews