Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:52:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Subject:   Re: mcAffee Anti Virus

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Stephen Roome wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Charles Owens wrote:
> > <snipped some stuff>
> >
> > The list price is $200.  I was utterly amazed at how fast it blew through
> > scanning 700 megs of PC files.
> >
> > anyhow...
>
> We run 15 Windows 95 machines off a Samba fileserver here which is a
> P5-133, with FreeBSD 2.1.5 (soon to be upgraded!).
>
> I put the Antivirus demo on it and had similar results, it was
> (obviously?) faster than windows at checking files and it's damn sight
> cheaper, as I'm sure it's possible to check remote hard drives with one
> copy of the server software through smbclient.

Hmmm... I thought smbclient was only good for interactive,
command-line-ftp-like operations.  How would you get uvscan to work over
the smbclient connection, such as it is?

> I don't know if McAfee ought to find out that you can check hundreds of
> PC's in this way for the price of 2 copies of the PC software, but I
> thought some of you out there who might not have done this yet, ought to
> try it out. (For more than 10PC's to check it's cheaper to buy a 486 with
> samba to just remotely check them once a day).
>
> It's not as secure, but it'll save your business money.

The potential is certainly there.

For no-cost PC virus scanning I use the shareware version of F-Prot (free
for non-profits, $1 per computer for commecial users).  It's not as pretty
as the full-blown F-Prot, but it has the same very highly rated virus
scanning engine.

---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx