Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:40:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
Cc:        John <papalia@udel.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPS sharing?

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Willem Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Have a look at NUT (Network UPS Tools). You can get it at
> http://www.exploits.org/nut/

If I may offer one piece of obvious (but unfortunately
anecdotal) advice: when controlling the shutdown of multiple machines
from one UPS monitoring device, remember to ensure that the
communication between them will work in the event of a power
outage. This means either serial cables or make sure your hub/switch is
plugged into a UPS too :-)

jan (had a DOH moment - fortunately it only took down a news server)

PS. I don't think splitting the signal will work; as I understand it
there are a number of request/response mechanisms for getting
performance details off the UPS. I don't think a split serial signal
will work in that case.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Whenever I see a dog salivate I get an insatiable urge to ring a bell.