Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:40:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help setting up NTP

With the help I received from this list, I began to set up NTP for the
first time. The server seems OK now (the peers command in ntpdc utility
does show something as described on a NTP web page) and I let it broadcast
messages over the local network by using the following line in
/etc/ntp.conf:

    broadcast x.x.x.255

Now on machine x.x.x.143 on the same subnet, I run:

    # ntpd -b
    # ntpdc
     ntpdc> peers
     ***Server reports data not found
     (while for a while)
     ntpdc> peers
     ***Server reports data not found

What happened?  I guess since the server broadcasts packets periodically,
I have to wait a longer while.  I try to use broadcast (in ntpdc) on the
local server to force it broadcast a message immediately but it asks me
for keyid.

The /etc/ntp.conf used by local NTP server is:

    server 127.127.1.0
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
    broadcast x.x.x.255
    dirftfile /dev/ntp.drift

I decide to use ntpdate to synchronize with a remote time server from time
to time.  At all other times, I plan to synchronize to the local server's
clock (like an isolated network).

Any help is appreciated.

-Zhihui