Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:28:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        "P. van Leeuwen" <pvl@nanoteq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GCC

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, P. van Leeuwen wrote:
> I could not find out on GNU's gcc page what the future plans are for
> suporting the upcoming ISO/IEC 14882 C++ standard.
>
> (Typically things like the built-in bool type and the standard library )

bool and some parts of the standard library (like STL, for example) have
been in GCC since 2.7 and 2.8.1 has since improved support for C++ quite
a bit.

However, I strongly suggest using EGCS (http://egcs.cygnus.com/), a more
advanced version of GCC which has vastly improved support for C++ (notably
templates), improved code generation and is at least as stable as GCC 2.8.1.

BTW, are there any plans of making EGCS the default compiler for FreeBSD?

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/