Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:11:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John J. Mikucki" <jjm7570@cs.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X and the Dvorak keyboard

I have decided to learn the Dvorak keyboard and so have 'skritched aww my
keycars awound'.  I have further set the console (text mode) to use the
new layout... but I haven't found the Definitive Right Way to do so in X.

Some localizations suggested the use of xmodmap, but warned that applying
it more than once will reapply the translation to the Dvorak layout
(unquestionably a bad thing).

After perusing the mailing lists, archives, handbook, FAQ, and X
consortium pages (though the last at somewhat lesser length), I am unable
to find an ideal way to do this.

How can I, (preferably at the lowest possible level)  set my system up to
use the Dvorak layout?  Any advice or non-null pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanks
John