Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:41:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   kget problem during install

When trying to install a -current snapshot from November 6, it dies when
trying to create slices in the FreeBSD partition.  It seems to create /
and /swap fine, but when trying to create /usr or /var it dies with

newfs: /mnt/dev/ad0s1f no such file or directory
file system full
DEBUG: kget: error buffer sizing
[:  : out of range
[:  : out of range
acd0t is invalid -- can't have more than 32 devices or 169 tracks

This happens every way I've tried to install, from dual-boot to dedicated,
softupdates enabled to no softupdates, etc.

I'm trying to install this snapshot via CD.  If I use the -current CD from
_FreeBSD_Unleashed_ (-current from sept. 11, I believe), it seems to get
through newfs fine but dies after expanding bin with the same errors as
above, starting with "DEBUG: kget: error buffer sizing."  This laptop has
happily had installations of FreeBSD from 2.2.7 to 4.4, as well as various
MS OS's.  Any ideas?

Reply to me directly, I'm not on this list right now.  Thanks,

-David