Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:06:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Omar Gani <daemons@inwind.it>
Cc:        <bobread@ids.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Win98+Linux+FreeBSD?

At Thu, 12 Apr 2001 it looks like Omar Gani composed:

daemon->Keep in mind that you can't make more than 4 partitions in a
daemon->hard disk. So unless you put linux partitions on logical
daemon->DOS/win9X partition, you have to exactly 4 partition (DOS/win9X,
daemon->FreeBSD, Linux & Linux's SWAP).
daemon->

I have the same triple boot running on a laptop with LILO booting
them all. In LBA mode I installed in four primaries on a 6 gig
drive with the nose of the 4th primary partiton (FreeBSD) beginning
under the 1024 cylinder mark:

Windows     = 2.5 gig
Linux /boot = 25MB
Linux /	    = 2 gig
FBSD = remainder of drive. I did create the 4th primary while
installing Linux but left it unformatted and made sure I chose NOT
to install the FreeBSD bootloader on anything. I grew up with LILO
and just default to it. The /etc/lilo.conf stanza's for the Linux
file looks like this:

(/etc/lilo.conf)

[root@corten2 ~]--> less /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda3

other=/dev/hda4
        label=bsd

Being a creature of habit, I just keep working around the 1024
cylinder problem. I hear the new LILO can see beyond that now.

I've made a little demo for some customers I had at work when they
called for dual boot adivce and the 1024 cylinder issue with Linux.

http://wiliweld.com/lba.txt

Can anyone share their experience with FreeBSD's bootloader and
controlling Linux and Windows ?

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076                 -o)