Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 07:36:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      matra <matra@diemme.it>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie...

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, matra wrote:
>
> > Under Linux i have only to patch the kernel and recompile! Why have i to
> > install and recompile everyting ?!..
>
> [soapbox on]
> Because we do not do things the way Linux does.  FreeBSD is composed of
> highly organized RELEASES.  One kernel version, one set of binaries, one
> published install set. Not ten.  When you get the FreeBSD CDROM, you can
> say, "This IS FreeBSD," not, "This is xyz's mishmash of FreeBSD."

So have i to buy EVERY Walnut Creek CD to have a current and not obsolete
FreeBSD box ?!

My linux box has a 197mb /usr/src directory . Every time a new
program/kernel etc/etc was announced ,i just ftp it . Why have i to wait
WC's cds to have the newest system ?

> Hope this helps you understand our way of doing things. :-)

Yes , i understand . IMHO FreeBSD is too "Walnut Creek CD" oriented .
I ran Linux for over 2 years buying only the first Slackware and upgrading
my system from the net , every time i wanted .

I hope that isn't a commercial alliance ...

So i have to buy every WC's dists to stay "tuned" on FreeBSD!It is not a
money affair for me ;The fact is that i HATE "mirrors" of other systems
on my computer .I want to create my OWN dist.

If u are right , i cannot do it .