Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:08:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Evans <mevans@ecsnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cc1 Internal error signal 4

I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a Cyrix P200+, 32meg RAM, ASUS P55T2P4
main board using both the onboard IDE and a Tekram 390 SCSI Adapter.

I have an occasional problem, where after booting the system many of the
system program seg fault (lpd, bash, etc).  Other times, the system boots
fine.  Also, sometimes when trying to compile a new kernel, or anything
for that matter, I get cc1 internal error signal 4 errors.  Other times,
gcc works fine (I can't find what a signal 4 is anywhere on the net or
docs).

When the system has problems on startup, I see the gcc errors, seg faults,
etc.  Restart, they may go away for that session and then reappear on the
next startup.  It seems to be very intermittent, with no apparent pattern.

The system runs Win95, Linux and WinNT 4.0 without any problems.  I've
used the same CD to install on a P166 system which has run flawlessly.

Any thoughts on what could be causing the problem, or areas to look for
possible solutions?

Thanks!

--
Mark Evans