Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:15:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 device timeout without conflict

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Siegbert Baude wrote:

> Antoine Beaupre wrote:
> >=20
> > Then I would have a problem in windows as well... Or at least, windows
> > should give me warning about the conflict, shouldn't it? :)
>=20
> The problem is NOT compiling in appropriate kernel options. If the
> modules for PS/2 and USB are present, the kernel will use the
> information, which it gathers on bootup about the IRQs, to solve the PnP
> problems. Not having those modules forces the kernel to blindly ignore
> the otherwise used IRQs, so there can occur IRQ conflicts. Windows
> always has all modules so this problem won=B4t happen.

Then what I should would be to compile the modules (i.e. PS/2
support) into the kernel and disable it? Oh how would we wish that these
darn machines would have more than 15 IRQs! :) I miss my job's DEC
alpha. :)

Another thing with PNP... In the 3.x line, there was a "pnp" command
available in the kernel userconfig. The pnp(4) manpage in 4.1 confirms
that, I can't access that command. When trying to compile a kernel with:

controller pnp0=20

as advised in the pnp(4) manpage, I get a warning about the fact that the
'controller' keyword is deprecated, and to use the 'device' keyword
instead.=20

When using the 'device' keyword, it tells me that 'pnp' is an unknown
device!

This is not funny anymore. I have a PnP modem here that I _have_ to setup
properly, and I used to do it using the pnp tool. Same with the AWE32
sound card. (this one, however, is properly detected, thanks to the pcm
driver, but set to IRQ 5, which is usually used by sio2, my modem...)

AAARg.
=20
> Another point to your NIC. Is it a combo version with 10base-2 and
> 10base-T ?

Nope. Plain 10baseT/UTP. Twisted-pair. Not coax. (that's T/UTP, right?)

> Then mabe it=B4s adjusted to listen to the 10base-2 port or the
> autosensing doesn=B4t work properly. Get vendor=B4s DOS-tool to check thi=
> out.

It is a crappy ISA NIC, however. Could it be a hardware problem, in the
sense that the card is broken? I just bought it second-hand..

A.

Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora