Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:17:09 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

> Then you were using GCC 2.7.2 in FreeBSD 3.3 -- a very different animal
> than 2.95.2.

Yes, it is, but recall building 2.95.2 from the ports collection and using
that instead.

> WHY!?!?!?  Just what the heck do you think you're achieving with -O3 plus
> all those things?  Have you *ever* profiled anything you're compiling
> with these options?  Note that -O3 is not necessarily faster code than -O.
>
> This seems Yet Another "I'm macho" compiler flags instance.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Entirely possible -- but, if you don't try it, you'll never know... ;-)

I thought I'd try, because anecdotal evidence suggested that the
optimisations made a performance difference (a positive one, that is). If
you have profiled and benchmarked code with no opts and compared it to
code compiled with optimisations, I'd be interested to see the results. I
mean, if there's no point, I'd like to know so that I can stop wasting
time fiddling with these things... ;-)

-- Juha