Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 11:32:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mike <mike@mike2k.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux/AMD64Vs.FreeBSD/AMD64? (fwd)

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Steven Hartland wrote:

> As the benchmark is still looking network dependent 0 -> 6ms RR times
> I'd try the bge tweak Andrew suggested:
> <quote>
> Without adding an interface, I'd just suggest doing something
> like changing sc->bge_rx_max_coal_bds from 64 to 1 around like 2350 of
> dev/bge/if_bge.c, rebuilding the driver, and seeing what changes.  I'm
> betting that will turn off recv interrupt coalescing and reduce your
> latency some.
> </quote>
> It may be the source of your issue.
>
> Also compare local to local and see how that shapes up, as it will
> give an indication of where any issue lies i.e. threading / process
> or network.
>
>     Steve / K

this is what i'm saying.

i *KNOW* that there is a problem with threading. we need to resolve mysql
issues on the local box before we worry about possible network overhead or
anything.

check my benchmarks. i am posting the same complaints here.

http://mikehost.com/~mike/tmp/bench.htm

out of the box debian blows the hell out of the freebsd setup in most
tests - all running through the local file socket (not over the network)
and compiled the same way.

there is definately a problem here with threading/etc.

let's conquer one issue at a time. threading issues first. when i can run
mysql here on the same machine and it sports relatively the same numbers
as the linux installation, then you can start running remote benchmarks
and see if there's additional issues with network overhead (either
internal to mysql or network drivers or something)

once again, i will provide access to my machine if anyone wants to come in
and optimize it/do whatever, as well as pay someone some cash to help
expedite this issue.

- mike