Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:26:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libutil realhostname.c

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

>   Sshd writes connected host into utmp directly.  If the connection is
>   via IPv6, the hostname is trimed due to the length of IPv6 address.
>   This change saves it as possible.
>   I have a grudge against the shortage of UT_HOSTSIZE.

I believe BSD/OS switched to a model where they retain both a hostname and
an address.  I don't know if their address field can hold an IPv6 address.

Rant:

Nothing irritates me more than seeing "Invalid address" in wtmp, when DNS
fails and login stamps that in.  How utterly useless.  In my mind, if we
store one thing, it should be the IP address (v4 or v6 or whatever), and
if two, then also the hostname at the time that the connection occurred.
Furthermore, it would be nice if an authenticity parameter was present for
both fields: (1) protection assuring that the IP was accurate (based on
IPsec somehow), and (2) protection assuring the name for the IP was
accurate (based on DNSsec).  I don't see either happening soon, but we can
and should fix the incorrect/inappropriate use of wtmp and utmp.

sshd currently puts IP addresses in the logs; we should change other
programs to do the same.  And we should fix UT_HOSTSIZE. :-)

  Robert N M Watson