Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:21:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Default value for maxusers

While reviewing and updating the content of tuning(7), I noticed the
following text:

     The kern.maxusers tunable defaults to an incredibly low value.  For most
     modern machines, you probably want to increase this value to 64, 128, or
     256.  We do not recommend going above 256 unless you need a huge number
     of file descriptors.  Network buffers are also affected but can be
     controlled with a separate kernel option.  Do not increase maxusers just
     to get more network mbufs.  Systems older than FreeBSD 4.4 do not have
     this loader tunable and require that the kernel config(8) option maxusers
     be set instead.

The first two sentences suggest that either we need to do one of the
following:

(1) Update the default maxusers value in GENERIC to something larger
    (perhaps 64), and remove the text from tuning(7), or...

(2) Remove this text from tuning(7).

It seems rediculous to have a default that is known to be inadequate (or
worse, "incredibly low").  I have to admit that the first thing I do with
any box is either recompile the kernel to have higher maxusers, or use
kern.maxusers in /boot/loader.conf to update it to at least 64.  If we
believe the observations above are correct, the choice seems simple:
update GENERIC, and I'd be happy to commit that to at least -CURRENT, and
possibly -STABLE.  If they're not, we should moderate the description
above a bit :-).