Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:55:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
Cc:        peterh@prognet.com, current-users@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, nakai@mlab.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: guavac, libstdc++

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Martin Cracauer wrote:

> I verified that the following problem (libstdc++ from gnu/lib/libg++ is
> not being build) still exists in RELENG_2_2 and 3.0-current as of
> today. I appended diffs.
>
> I included Jordan in the CC line because I think this fix should be in
> 2.2 This bug means people
> - can't use the public guavac compiler or the public java language
> - can't make serious use of C++ (?)
> - they will say its better to run native GNU tools than to use FreeBSD's
> - the universe as we know it will collapse
>
> Sorry for the broadcast, but the issue spread over -current, -ports
> and -hackers.

It's possible that your mail has been sitting in mine or freefall's queue
for a while, but this change (or one nearly like it) has already been
committed, and the stl subdir is being descended into.  The stuff for some
reason still isn't getting built, I don't know why yet:

ROOT:/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/lib/libstdc++:1565 >nm tree.so
00000000 D ___rb_NIL
00000010 ? ___rb_NIL

Those are from one of the three files that needed to get compiled.
They're getting compiled, but nothings in them yet.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |