Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:37:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>, imap-uw@freebsd.ady.ro, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: imap-uw security hole -- please update port

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:

# > Hey, I won't worry if Matt doesn't. :)  If we don't install
# > the imap tools does that satisfy your requirements Matt or
# > are you expecting them to be installed as part of pine4?
# > If so, would a *_DEPENDS on the imap-uw port work?  Of
# > course its build/install would have to be conditionalized
# > appropriately first of course.
#
# You absolutely do NOT want to make the pine port depend on the imap-uw
# port; nor do you want it to automatically install the IMAP and POP
# servers that are packaged with it.  Either choice would severely tick
# off those of us who use any other IMAP/POP server package. (Also,
# remember, the pine client may be built and installed on machines that
# will never run a local IMAP or POP daemon.)

Fair enough, I was just asking because if I'm going to be in
there anyway I might as well do this too if it was a desired
feature.  NOTE: however I did say that if it were to be done
that it "would have to be conditionalized appropriately...".
By this I meant that it wouldn't act any different than it does
today unless you did something like this:

	# cd /usr/ports/mail/pine4
	# WANT_IMAP_TOOLS=yes make install

Steve

# Personally, I prefer the Cyrus IMAP server.  Among other things, once
# it has bound to the privileged IMAP port, it gives up root permission.
# Aall deliveries are also run as a specific unprivileged user.  This
# drasticly reduces the severity of any potential security holes.
#
#
#
# -Pat