Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:34:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using Soren's new ATA driver

What are the steps one needs to take in order to help test
Soren's new ATA driver?  I tweaked the MAKEDEV script to create
/dev/ad0* and added the lines to my kernel config file as
suggested in Soren's commit message.  Both my HD and CD are
found but when it goes to set the root device I get this:

changing root device to ad0s1a
ad0s2: cannot find label (no disk label)
ad0s3: cannot find label (no disk label)
ad0s4: cannot find label (no disk label)
/: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir

The obvious answer would be to edit the label for each of
these slices to change the wd0* disk entries (which do exist)
to say ad0* instead, but is that what I really need to do?
Or did I miss a step?

Sorry for being so dense, but this change should most
definitely make it into src/UPDATING along with the list of
required steps.

I have to say though it was a glorious feeling to see the
probe for my CD not take its usual 20+ seconds. :)

Thanks, Steve