Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 17:41:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15822: Update port misc/HomeDaemon to V0.99

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Karl Denninger wrote:

# The only issue I'd have at first glance is that I have install targets in
# the real package Makefile that already do the installation, so putting it
# here is redundant (and breaks installing from a NON-PORT environment,
# which I dislike as some people are on Linux!)  I'd have to look at

The number one reason that I did it this way is so that I didn't
have to change four of your files.  I did what I needed to do without
disrupting your files.  This is good because now you are free to
change your files any way you want and chances are the effects to
the port will be minimal.

# interactions between the defined prefixes and those scripts - my
# intent is to have a package that works either stand-alone or as a
# port.
#
# There's also a basic problem in that moving the package out of /usr/local
# to an arbitrary place will break an *INTERNAL* execute call - the
# HomeDaemon-events program calls -parse internally as a piped command
# and it along with a few other things have #DEFINEd constants in defs.h
# for where their config files and working directories are.

This is quite easy to fix from the port's Makefile.

post-patch:
.for f in defs.h Defaults/HomeDaemon.rc
	${PERL} -pi -e 's,/usr/local,${PREFIX},g' ${WRKSRC}/${f}
.endfor

# As such you have to be *very* careful about arbitrary movements of
# files.  That's the primary reason I left the install locations hard-coded
# in the Makefile-called install targets.  I suppose I could do definitions
# of undefined targets in the package Makefile itself and pass that through
# CFLAGS; that would be an acceptable means of getting around this.
#
# The "-s" is "strip" - it strips the symbols from the output of "cc".
# It typically does nothing (but also no harm) for a compile, but is
# effective on the link phase.

Doh!  I knew that.  Sorry for the dumb question.

# The bottom line is that it saves a "strip" on the installation phase to get
# minimum-size installed binaries.
#
# Let me do a bit more hacking on this and get back to you - do you want a new
# "shar" when I'm done or do you want diffs?
#
# The new shar is likely to be smaller.

You can send me either one.  I already have a couple of other changes
to the one I sent you. :)

-steve