Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 1995 16:09:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alan Byrne <alan@picard.isocor.ie>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        alan@buster.internet-eireann.ie
Subject:   Slow ftp transfer times on Ethernet

Hi

I have just finished installing FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 on a Pentium P90. I
intend using it as an NFS fileserver for our engineering group. Just
after I installed the bindist, I configured the network card (SMC) and
started to transfer files via ftp accross our ethernet.
The results were very dissapointing.
>From other servers (Sequent, SUN, SCO) to the FreeBSD system was very
slow - around 30K to 100K/sec transfer rate.
>From the FreeBSD server to any other system the transfer rates ranged
from 400k to 800k/sec, somewhat more normal.
Is this a problem with my hardware or with ftp itself. (I think it's the
hardware/configuration myself).
During the slow ftp transfers, it seems to grab around 40-80K then
pauses, the disk access light flashes, grabs some more, etc....

Hardware description:

	Pentium P90, Intel Premiere/PCI II (Latest version)
	BusLogic BT-946C PCI SCSI controller.
	32MB Ram
	2GByte Seagate Barracuda SCSI Disk
	4GByte Seagate Barracuda SCSI Disk
	Trident TVGA8900D Video Card
	Exabyte EXB4200 SCSI DAT drive.
	SMC 8013EWC 16bit Network card (Upgrading to PCI version shortly)

This is the first FreeBSD system that I have setup in work (I've two at
home), and if this goes well, we will be moving more systems over to
FreeBSD, so please help........

Thanks in advance

Alan Byrne
ISOCOR Ireland.