Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 22:51:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reverse DNS lookup

> > The question - is there something that needs to be configured some place
> > to enable reverse DNS?  Odds are I need to provide additional information
> > off my system - just let me know what it is :)
>
> Send the output of
>
> $ nslookup 206.16.184.7

Output is actually a timeout after about 60 seconds or so:

merlin# nslookup 206.16.184.7
Server:  copland.udel.edu
Address:  128.175.xx.xx

*** Request to copland.udel.edu timed-out

I tried instead an IP I've actually been having trouble resolving:

merlin# nslookup 63.224.53.3
Server:  copland.udel.edu
Address:  128.175.xx.xx

*** copland.udel.edu can't find 63.224.53.3: Non-existent host/domain

"copland" is the name of the first DNS in my file.  It apparently doesn't
query the second DNS in my file?

> Make sure it really is using the servers you have specified in
> /etc/resolv.conf

See above - it queries #1 in the list, but not #2 (or so it seems).  My
/etc/resolv.conf is:

search udel.edu
nameserver 128.175.xx.xx
nameserver 128.175.yy.yy

Hopefully all that might answer some q's?

Thanks again!!!
--John