Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:03:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alwyn Goodloe <agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Packet Header Filtering

   We are about to begin a little project that has the following requiremnet.

   Perform IP packet filtering  in the following way :

i) look at an ip packet header. If some conditions are met let the packet pass
   otherwise reject the packet.

ii) Look at ip packet headers of established connections and when certain
    conditions are met tear down the connection.

  Obviously this isn't the kind of thing we will be using the usual
firewall software,  at least not  as I understand the software.  What I
want to know from you FreeBSD hackers is:

 i) if anyone has done something similar do you have any advice.
ii) Anyone know where I should start hacking. Would it be best to try to
    hack the firewall code or the ipforwarding code....

Any such advise would be helpful.

Alwyn Goodloe
agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu