Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:24:44 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Jason Scheck <jasons@mdhost.cse.tek.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of porting Linux filesystem code?

On 15 Apr 1997, Jason Scheck wrote:

> Linux has a file system driver that I would very much like to use on my
> home FreeBSD server (a Macintosh HFS driver).  Assuming some driver
> aptitude, what is the feasibility of converting this driver to run under
> FreeBSD?  Are the models totally incompatible?

The vfs and vnode interfaces of various UNIX operating systems are
incompatible but similar.

> The DOS filesystem driver has been broken for long enough that it seems
> that it might be difficult.  However, it might not have been converted due

File systems are difficult and you also need to know something about the
VM system because of their symbiotic relationship.  Both are complex
systems but well worth the effort to try and understand IMHO.

Someone has been working on a new msdosfs, but has been overloaded with
work.

> to filesystem issues.  I do know that some version of the ext2fs runs
> under both.

Ext2fs which has been modified to use the BSD4.4 vnode interface and share
some ufs inode code is being used by a number of people under FreeBSD.

> Any advice will be appreciated.

Take a look at some of the source sitting in /sys/miscfs and /sys/msdosfs.

The book 'Unix Internals: The New Frontiers' has a lot of info on
filesystems in general.  'The Design of the 4.4BSD Operating System' is
also a good for info specific to 4.4 derived OSes.  References in both
lead to other good sources of information as well.

The Linux Document project describes ext2fs and the Linux vfs/vnode
implementation pretty well.

Regards,

Mike