Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:50:30 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   General update methodology question

    I was out for a walk, and I thought that the following might be
a good idea:

    1) locally mirror the FreeBSD CVSROOT (how would I do this?),
       re-syncing as I felt like it.

    2) Pull a working tree out from either a branch (e.g.,
       RELENG_4) or a fixed tag (e.g., RELENG_4_1_0_RELEASE).

    3) Build and install.

    4) As time progresses, cvs up from my local mirror, build and
       install.  BUT, prior to doing that, tag my local copy
       (e.g., "WORKS_7-26-2000").  The idea here is that if someone
       does a hasty commit, and I suffer for it, I can easily get
       back to where I was.

Inter alia, this would allow me to set up my own CVSROOT and keep
other stuff in there besides FreeBSD, and not have to worry about
how my CVSROOT environment variable is set.

    I am not currently a FreeBSD developer.  Were I to become one,
would my local tagging cause a problem?  If so, I could always
separate out stable and current in my local CVSROOT, and be sure to
only tag stuff in stable.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (at yourfit.com)