Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:17:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf

On 30-Mar-00 Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:00:48 CST, "David J. Kanter" wrote:
>
>> Which flags, if any, do people recommend I set in /etc/make.conf,
>> keeping in mind that I'm a home-PC user?
>
> The compiler flags officially supported within the project are:
>
>       CFLAGS='-O -pipe'
>
>       COPTFLAGS='-O -pipe'
>
> More aggressive optimizations may be possible, but you're on your own
> trying to get support later if something goes wrong, whether or not it's
> related to the optimizations. :-)
>
>> Should I keep these flags set all the time, so that all "make"s can be
>> done with the options, or are they just necessary when doing a make
>> world? And is it bad form to make some things with the options and
>> other things without?
>
> It is common practise to leave CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS defined as above in
> /etc/make.conf at all times.

I use:

CFLAGS= -02 -pipe -m486
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

Ths first adds a little more optimization for ordinary builds, such as the
ports collection.  The second is the recommended setting for the kernel.

There are a few other useful settings besides:

# Avoid compiling profiled libraries
NOPROFILE=      true

The average user has no use for these anyway, and you can save a little
time and disk space by not compiling them when doing a "make world".

If you've installed the Lesstif port:

HAVE_MOTIF=     yes

If you're a USA resident (certain ports check the setting of this
variable):

USA_RESIDENT=YES

Another setting I find very useful is:

FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=    YES

This will force a port to install and register itself when you do a "make
install", even if it's already installed.

Last but not least, if you use cvsup to update your sources and/or ports
collection:

SUP_UPDATE=     yes
#
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
SUPFILE=        ${STABLESUPFILE}
CURRENTSUPFILE= /root/current-supfile
STABLESUPFILE=  /root/stable-supfile
DOCSUPFILE=     /root/doc-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /root/ports-supfile

I've defined a few extra variables here (CURRENT..., STABLE..., DOC...,
PORTS...).  THE DOC and PORTS supfiles enable you to go to either
/usr/doc or /usr/ports and do a "make update" to cvsup the latest changes.
CURRENT and STABLE are just some aliases I created; the name that's
actually used is, of course, just plain old SUPFILE.  This, like DOC and
PORTS, enables you to go to /usr/src and do "make update".

Hope this helps.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/