Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ithreads kernel weirdness

I suppose many of you are wondering why there haven't been any
recent commits of ithreads for the alpha as promised.  The reason
is that I can't get a plain kernel to boot.  My test kernel with
several debugging kernel options added in the config file boots
fine.  If I remove some of those debugging options, the kernel
will boot sometimes, and hang others.  If I remove all the
debugging options, the kernel always hangs.  When it hangs, the
kernel is always hanging just after the 'timecounter' device
probe printf's.  Normally after this I get the acd0 probe
message.  Booting verbose ends with two messages from
ata-master0, so I'm assuming it is during ata's probe of its
busses, which use the await()/asleep() code.  At this point in
time, my guess is that this another weird manifestation of the
possible BSS corruption bug that a few people are seeing
(like static hints not working because hints_loaded is getting
trounced).  I would have committed this 2 days ago, but I can't
get a normal kernel to boot.  It might also be weirdness with
spl()'s (although it used to work fine, so no reason that it
doesn't work now, to be honest).  Regardless, my next step is
to make the softinterrupt code mostly MI which will move SWI's
to the softinterrupt thread as a side effect.  Then we should
be able to kill spl's (I hope), which may clear up some problems
as well.  The current ithreads patchset as always is at:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/alpha.ithreads.patch.