Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:47:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: 4.2 Showstopper? Belkin KVM switch problems with FreeBSD 4.2

On 20-Nov-00 Gerd Knops wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> Since I updated from 4.1 to 4.2RC1, my Belkin OmnieView Pro
> (F1D108-OSD) is not working properly anymore. The symptoms: If the
> system is rebooted while selected on the KVM switch, everything is
> fine. If the system is rebooted while another system is selected, the
> keyboard is not found:
>
> System selected:
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
> kbd0 at atkbd0
>
> Other system selected:
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
>
> In an EMail to questions someone reported a similar problem.
>
> As I assume quite a number of people use Belkin KVMs, this is a
> serious problem. It could be argued that it is Belkin's problem, but
> considering the large base of installed KVMs I think FreeBSD should try
> to be KVM friendly.

Compile a custom kernel and take 'flags 0x1' (detection of keyboards) out of
the atkbd0 line.  It is a weird problem with your KVM.  My 4-port KVM (Belkin
OmniCube) has no problems finding the keyboards on my 4 testboxes (2 stable and
2 current).  Granted, this switch is using PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports.
Perhaps it is something finicky with AT keyboards?  Regardless, removing the
'flags 0x1' will fix your problem.  The flag is needed so that people with USB
keyboards have their keyboards recognized as the primary keyboard by the
console driver on boot.