Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:13:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: apache problems

On 05-Jan-01 Dan Phoenix wrote:

> [root@fosco dphoenix]# netstat -a|grep http |wc -l
>      560
> [root@fosco dphoenix]# ps aux|grep httpd|wc -l
>      169
> [root@fosco dphoenix]#
>
> this is what the arrow point load balancer reports.
> fosco                            Alive      1019      1    23         1102
>
> this is really nuts.
> Lb and netstat are reporting way more connections then there are
> httpd deamons running...maxclients is set at 500 for this static server
> ...webtree is on the harddrive..no nfs for this one.
>
> top reports....
> 2062 nobody      2   0  2108K  1760K sbwait   0:01  0.00%  0.00% httpd
>  2157 nobody      2   0  2108K  1760K sbwait   0:01  0.00%  0.00% httpd
>
> all my httpd processes is the sbwait state....is that normal?
> can anyone help out? I just don;t understand why LB netstat and amount
> of apache processes would not be the same@!

sbwait is normal.  Perhaps you have connections that are still negotiating the
TCP close handshake even though apache has close(2)'d the socket and gone on to
something else.  Look at the netstat output to see what state the connections
are in.  For example, you will have sockets in LISTEN that are waiting for a
connection to come in, sockets in ESTABLISHED which are active connections, and
connections in TIME_WAIT which are waiting to close.

> --
> Dan

Also, _please_ trim your signature.  Some people have to pay to download all of
that, so be courteous and don't waste so much time.  4 lines is usually
considered about the maximum length for a signature.