Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:59:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, arch@FreeBSD.org, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

On 16-Mar-01 Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 12:26 PM -0800 3/16/01, John Baldwin wrote:
>>On 16-Mar-01 Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>>  Yes, the real problem with this is '2' (newvers.sh), there's nothing
>>>  wrong with using 'BETA' in the names on the ftp site.
>>
>>People who follow -stable should be reading -stable.
>
> A lot of people "should" be doing a lot of things.  Maybe these users
> partially follow the -stable mailing list, but happen to ignore any
> message with '-beta' in the subject because "they know" they are
> running the -stable branch.  As I say, it is only a few people each
> release, and it never takes more than a few minutes to calm them down,
> but it DOES happen every release cycle.

Is this in the FAQ yet?  If we documented our release engineering process and
put it on the website, that would eliminate most of this confusion. :)  I've
somewhat attempted to do this but can't seem to get the release engineer to
look at it. :-P

>>  > ~ % uname -srm
>>>  FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE-RC i386
>>
>>Except that it's not a real release candidate.  Which is why we
>>don't just use -RC the whole time.
>
> I do think the current "beta" period should have some specific
> name, and one which doesn't imply "release-candidate".  I always
> thought it was odd to be calling it "beta", because (whether we
> like it or not) "beta" implies something certainly less trustworthy
> "stable".

Actually, with the MFC spree that usually happens before a release, it is
potentially less stable than before.  How many times has -stable had a broken
world in the 3 months between -BETA and 4.2-release, and how many times has it
been broken in the last few weeks?  I rest my case..